Thursday, September 2, 2010

Friendships

We live in a small town. Not one that either Duffy or I grew up in and one that, frankly, I'm sort of surprised we ended up here. I spent a lot of time in Sequim in middle/high school and Darah will tell you, I said I'd never live here. Things change when you grow up, get married and start a family. My parents moved up here when I was in college and coming to visit them, there was so much to do outside and we liked that it didn't rain as much (11 inches compared to 40 in Olympia). So, being the adventurous types (we were all set to move to Boise, ID the year before!) we decided to move. It has been a great place to raise a family and we love the small town feel. I love the weather, being close to the beach and the mountains.

We have met amazing people and have great friends here, but, I'm grieving my long-standing friendships right now. Those relationships with the people you've known forever. The ones you can vacation with, show up at their house anytime, and you're still welcome. Where you can totally be yourself, all the time, and they still love you. The people you have history with.

That's the problem with moving, growing-up, having a family. Things change.

1 comment:

Carol H said...

oh Melissa, lots of tears in my eyes right now - I love you and miss you and your family....

Facebook Update

Related Posts with Thumbnails