Red Bean and Quinoa Chili
Recipe from Feeding the Whole Family by Cynthia Lair. (my new favorite cookbook!!!)
This is a one-dish meal you can make in 45 minutes. Try serving it to guests – they’ll love it!
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tsp sea salt
1 large green pepper, chopped
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp dried oregano
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne
2/3 cup quinoa, rinsed in warm water and drained
1 cup fresh or frozen corn
1 cup tomato sauce or canned tomatoes
1 cup water
1 15oz can kidney beans, drained
Garnish ingredients (optional)
Low fat or non fat sour cream
- Heat oil in skillet on medium heat.
- Add onion, salt, garlic, pepper and spices, saute for 5-10 minutes.
- Add rinsed quinoa and stir in.
- Add corn, tomato sauce or canned tomatoes and water to onion/quinoa mixture. Simmer together for 20 minutes.
- Add beans to other ingredients, simmer another 10 minutes.
- Top with cilantro and/or sour cream, if desired.
This is a great meat-free chili and Duffy didn't even miss the meat. We topped with avocado's and cheese as well.